Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2008

50th anniversary of Cyborg technology

In the last and ultimate lecture, my compatriot Sven Tollmien, introduced us to many amazing digital trends and possibilities for our future. I have to admit that I am a technique freak. I love everything what is new and I want to try it. What impressed me the most was the “5th Screen”, our future display for everyday’s life. When I told my father, who is visiting at the moment, about implanting chips into the human eye he could not believe nor would he appreciate it. But the very same day I read an article about the 50th anniversary of pacemakers. 50 years ago Else Marie Larson convinced the doctors at Karolinska hospital, here in Stockholm, to implant the half-baked technology to her suffering husbands heart. Before becoming the first Cyborg, Arne Larsson had to be revitalized about 30 times a day, whereas now the pacemaker preserved 3 years in his body. The 24 pacemakers he got implanted over the time enlarged his life for valuable 38 years. But since that only little progress has taken place in cyborg technology. Maybe people are scared of mixing up humans and machines. But why not implanting the 5th screen? Brothersretinal scanning display is a first step in that direction. I would be really pleased to have all these little helps and hints provided by the Secai camera projected into my retina in my everyday’s life.



Sven’s presentation made me even more curious about the future. Can’t wait to try out all the things he presented.

I think humanity will be way more productive and effective in future as technologies will safe time.

Keine Kommentare: