Donnerstag, 2. Oktober 2008

D-school = B-school and converging system design

Ronald Jones gave us last lecture a really good impression of the future of designing. A designer should be more interdisciplinary and get away from designing individual items towards system designing. Really interesting is the new concept of D-schools and the great future employment perspectives for D-school majors. My girlfriend just decided to start a business university career after completing an apprenticeship in media design, due to the bad future perspectives in that field. I study Business administration and Engineering and can see thereby the advantages of an interdisciplinary education. And once again a successful businessman and the co founder of SAP, Hasso Plattner, has realized this trend several years ago and gave 35 million dollars to found the Stanford D-school. In the year 2005 yet the “business week” titled “Tomorrow's B-School? It Might Be A D-School”. According to the article the famous business schools are hooking up with design schools or founding their own institutes. As all these made me curious and so I did some research to find out what these interdisciplinary designers came up with in the last years. Here are some interesting things I have found:

Most of these innovations come from the School of Design Thinking of the Hasso Plattner Institute in Germany.

All these system design innovations made me curious and I start to wonder if I have chosen the right major. I think a really good career would be a Bachelor in Business Admin and Engineering with a Master in Design. All this fits in the future vision of convergence of technologies.

Converging systems have to be designed not single technologies.

Keine Kommentare: